Developing COVID-19 Vaccines in Record Time: Platforms and Partnerships for Prevention
May 12, 2020 | 1:00-2:30pm, CST
Global health leaders have all said that the long-term solution to ending the pandemic is the arrival of a vaccine or vaccines that can be rapidly deployed around the world. Yet the development of a vaccine is a complex undertaking, especially during a global pandemic of an unknown pathogen with uncertain epidemiology. Even so, many vaccine developers moved swiftly, using platform technologies to go from genetic sequence data to vaccine candidates in a few short weeks, shortening typical timelines by months and years. This panel will discuss the path to clinical trials and share their thoughts on how collaboration will bring life-saving vaccines to the world in this time of unprecedented need.
Moderator: Phyllis Arthur, VP, Infectious Diseases & Diagnostics Policy, BIO
- Laurent M Humeau, PhD, Chief Science Officer and EVP of Research, Engineering and Clinical Developments, Inovio
- Macaya Douoguih, MD, MPH, Head of Clinical Development, Janssen Vaccines
- Mike Watson, MD, Consultant, Vaccines and Infectious Diseases, Moderna
- Greg Glenn, MD, President, Research and Development, Novavax
- Philip Dormitzer, MD, PhD, VP and Chief Scientific Officer, Viral Vaccines, Pfizer
- Clement Lewin, PhD, MBA, Associate Vice President, Head BARDA Office & NV Stakeholder Engagement, Sanofi Pasteur
Influenza Prevention in the Era of COVID-19
May 21, 2020 | 3:00-5:00pm, CST
This virtual meeting will mirror the typical final day of the in-person National Adult and Influenza Immunization Summit meeting. Along with the traditional manufacturer updates, we will have presentations from CDC and AIRA on preparations for the upcoming influenza season, in the context of a potential resurgence of COVID-19 disease.
- “Timing of vaccination” recommendations and short update on VE
- “Influenza pandemic vaccination resources – planning for seasonal flu vaccine campaigns.”
- AIRA update on IIS activities
- CDC flu messaging
- Update – CDC, ACIP Flu WG lead
- Manufacturer and HIDA presentations
2020 National Adult and Influenza Immunization Summit In-Person Meeting
Due to the COVID-19 response and the cancellation of the National Immunization Conference, the NAIIS has cancelled its meeting scheduled for May 18, 2020. NAIIS leadership will discuss best options for moving forward and inform membership of the plans for potentially meeting in the future.